Saturday, June 25, 2011

Liberated Squares On Point


I made my wonky squares on point with the directions in Liberated Quiltmaking II by Gwen Marston. It's an easy and fun technique which uses scissors-cut squares (not quite square) and triangles.

I like my Round 2 borders. When it came to the corner squares, I wanted to introduce gold in case I wanted to use gold later in the quilt. I tried out different gold scraps and chose one I liked, then stitched it all together--and now I think the gold looks weird. Like it's saying: "What am I doing here"? Maybe the gold could have been introduced earlier as a very narrow border near the brown circly print border.

Or maybe I'll want to introduce olive green in Round 3! I'll have to wait and see what Nancy and June have for us next. I'll probably separate Round 2 and 3 with a plain border to set off the patchwork borders. The quilt is now 33" x 33".

8 comments:

  1. I'm commenting on my own photo: I don't know why it uploaded in the wrong position It needs to be rotated once clockwise. BTW, the squares don't look liberated, but they actually vary quite a bit in size and orientation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job, Kathleen! Love the zig-zaggy border! ....darlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creative squares - really nice to put them on point. I think the corner gold picks up the gold in the circle/dot print used for the second row - all goes so nicely together. Great idea to add the measurement of the quilt - I'm going to add that suggestion to the instruction page! Thanks!
    : )
    June

    ReplyDelete
  4. The zigzag border grabs my immediate attention... love it. I think it looks great oriented in this position, would never know it was suppose to be different. I think when we work on a project our brain imprints it as having a 'right or wrong' position. When I do this I ask my kids which way they like it best and many times it is not the one that I working on as the correct/right position. (does this make sense?)

    warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is getting better every round :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking so good. I love the way you've used each round and the colors compliment each other so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the gold - it is as if it is announcing itself!

    ReplyDelete