Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Round 3: Rectangles


I surprised myself by completing Round 3 so quickly by using strips for a slanted border. I cut a piece of thin scrap fabric, 5" wide by the length of the quilt to use as a foundation for the strip piecing, then stitched the strips at a 45 degree angle. I made 2 of these and planned on making 2 more for the round 3 borders. Then....a little laziness crept in. I wondered, "How would this border look if I made it 2" wide instead of 4.5" wide? So I cut each of the 2 strip pieced borders in half lengthwise, and I had 4 borders for round 3.

Auditioning fabrics for a plain border before round 3 wasn't working; nothing looked right. So another quick decision was made: Cut strips of various brown fabrics and stitch them to the quilt in log cabin fashion. My quilt is definitely ready for a wide border in Round 4, so that it will grow to be a lap quilt. It's now 42" x 42".

9 comments:

  1. I like the narrow slanted border and the triangles and the little squares. Very nice! Sue in Mi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kathleen, you just amped up the movement!
    Great border and I like the balance and repetition of your colors..the pops of red are really eye-catching!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific row! The colors are consistent but the way you have placed them makes them so interesting - my eye moves all around with enjoyment and appreciation for all the decisions you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, you did right, by slashing that border. For me the width of the border looks just perfect.
    Great idea !
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to everyone for the great comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great how we are all following the same rules and producing such different, each wonderful quilts. I LOVE the strings on the bias in your borders--what an excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those red squaares in the corners are great, they bring my eyes back into the other areas of red. Thank you for giving the dimensions, I wouldn't have figured out how large it has become. Great job.

    ReplyDelete