To be honest, I don't have much in the way of crumbs. I have alot of strips of various widths and some odds and ends, but little pieces of fabric don't stay in my sewing room. I donate them to be stuffing for cat beds. I'm serious. I'm not making it up! One of the members of the Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild is a volunteer at a no-kill shelter for stray cats. Each new owner of a cat gets a bed. My crumbs go to her initially and then ultimately to a new cat owner.
So, as I contemplated what I would do for Step 2, I went to strips. I started out with a bunch of strips and left over cuts from other projects and made this:
I cut the new fabric up into 4 strips to add to my center block.
After I added the borders, I noticed how the red pick-up sticks shifted the focus of the center block to the right. Which caused me to want to continue that concept in the new border, so I retro-fit a grey pick-up stick into the new border. I wish I would have known I was going to do this before I sewed on the borders - it would have been so much easier to do at that stage.
I may add a grey pick-up stick in the top border, but I'm going to study this for awhile. At least it won't involve another corner retro-fit!
I don't think my strips have resulted in a very liberated step 2 as compared to what others are doing, but I am satisfied with my composition and most importantly, I'm enjoying the process.
I look forward to seeing all the other step 2 posts.